Home page di Itinerari Turistici e Culturali - Milano

Cultural Sightseeing Tours in Milan

Via Paladini 7 · Milano 20133 · Italy · Phone +39 02 7015171 · Fax +39 02 70105971 · Contacts ·
 
THE CHURCH OF SAINT AMBROSE TOUR (half day)

Tour Sant'Ambrogio

Basilica di Sant'Ambrogio - Milano Itinerari

Basilica Sant'Ambrogio - Capitelli Romanici - Milano Itinerari


Chiostri della Cattolica - Milano Itinerari

 

San Bernardino alle Monache - Milano Itinerari

San Bernardino alle Monache - Milano Itinerari

 

 

Basilica di S. Lorenzo - Milano Itinerari

Basilica di S. Lorenzo - Colonne - Milano Itinerari

Palazzo Stampa di Soncino - Milano Itinerari

Chiesa di S. Giorgio al Palazzo - Milano Itinerari

Palazzo Pozzobonelli - Milano Itinerari

Casa dei Grifi - Milano Itinerari

Palazzo Castani - Milano Itinerari

 

 

Santa Maria presso San Satiro - Milano Itinerari

 

 


Battistero di San Giovanni alle Fonti

Following the path around the Basilica to reach the Forum of the Imperial City
The Basilica and churches along the path leading to the Forum of the Imperial City. A tour between Saints and History of the city of Milan.

Basilica of Saint’Ambrose
The basilica was built by St. Ambrose between 379 and 386, in an area where numerous martyrs of the Roman persecutions had been buried. The first name of the church was in fact Basilica Martyrum. In the following centuries the edifice underwent several restorations and partial reconstructions, assuming the current appearance in 1099, when it was rebuilt in Romanesque architecture. The basilica plan of the original edifice was maintained, with an apse and two aisles, all with apses, and a portico with elegant arches supported by semi columns and pilasters preceding the entrance. Latter was used to house the disciples coming to Mass to receive baptism. The upper loggia has five arcades of different height that follow the ceiling. It is used by the bishop of Milan to bless the people attending outside. The basilica has two bell towers. The right one, called dei Monaci ("of the Monks"), is from the 9th century and has a severe appearance. The left and higher one dates to 1144, the last two floors added in 1889.

Chiostri della Cattolica - Catholic University Cloisters - Milan
Part of the Benedictine convent, these cloisters were restored in renaissance style during the Sforzesco period. The design of Bramante was innovative and consisted in a very high portico (7,5 meter in height and able to host libraries and refectories) and two floors for the monk’s cells.

Church of San Bernardino alle Monache
The church, which is the last surviving element of the former convent of St. Bernadine, dates to the second half of the 15th century and is attributed to Piero Antonio Solari. It underwent major restoration around the 1920’s, and inside it contains some admirable 15th and 16th century frescos. The present church, which is smaller in dimension, used to be the internal chapel of the monastery of St. Bernadine. Both the monastery proper and the "external church" have fallen into ruin. The bell-shaped front, the use of bricks, and the terra cotta decorations have rightly led people to attribute it to the Solaris, a father and son who were emblems of fifteenth-century Ambrosian architecture prior to the sensational creations of Bramante.

Roman Tower of Ticinese city Gate Milan
On the north side of Carobbio, among the modern buildings, there are the ruins of the tower belonged to the first defensive wall built in the 1st century. The tower is 6 meter in height and has a square base with a polygonal development (18 sides).

Basilica of San Lorenzo
Various suggestions of its origin have been made, including a foundation in year 370; the Basilica of San Lorenzo was renovated and redecorated in the 16th century. It has however maintained the original Byzantine structure, with a dome and four towers resembling those of Constantinople’s Hagia Sofia. A recent detailed stratiographic study of the walls identified five phases of construction in antiquity from Theodosius I to the early Lombard period. The church is a quatrefoil central-plan building, with a double-shell layout, consisting of an open central area, the inner shell, surrounded by an ambulatory, the outer shell.

Palazzo Stampa di Soncino in Milan
Built at the beginning of the 16th century per Massimiliano Stampa wishes, was projected by architect Cristoforo Lombardo who realized the huge portal where Carlo V exploits are portrayed.

Church of San Giorgio al Palazzo
Founded around 750, it was modernized in Baroque style by Francesco Maria Richini in 1623. The façade, designed by Francesco Croce, was built in the 18th century. The most striking feature of the interior is the Passion Chapel, with panels and frescoes painted by Bernardino Luini in 1516. In the first chapel on the right is a canvas by Gaudenzio Ferrari.

Palazzo Pozzobonelli - Pozzobonelli’s Palace
The characteristic of this palace is the renaissance inner courtyard realized by Donato Bramante at the end of the 15th century. Very interesting are the terracotta arcades and eight medallions depicting Romans Emperors.

Casa dei Grifi - Grifi’s House
Casa dei Grifi (Grifi House) is a Renaissance palace (15th century) hosting one of the most intact Renaissance courtyards surviving in town, owes its name to the fact of having been built by the merchant House of Grifi; the "grifone" was their heraldic animal.

Palazzo Castani - Castani’s Palace
The palace is located in San Sepolcro square, in front of the church; main characteristics of this palace are the 15th century portal decorated with medallion and the arcade cloister built at the end of the same century.

Church of Santa Maria presso San Satiro
The church lies on the site of a primitive worship place erected by the archbishop Anspertus in 879, dedicated to Saint Satyrus, confessor and brother of Saints Ambrose and Marcellina. The current church was instead built from 1472 to 1482 under commission from Duke Galeazzo Maria Sforza. According to some sources, the designer was Bramante, who had recently moved from the Marche. However, recent documents prove that Bramante had a minor role, most of the work being attributable to Giovanni Antonio Amadeo, who designed the façade. Certainly from Bramante is the sacristy perspective. The edifice has a nave and two aisles with barrel vault. The nave is surmounted by an emispherical dome at the crossing with the transept. The choir, which had to be truncated due to the presence of a main road, was replaced by Bramante with a painted perspective, realizing in this way one of first examples of trompe l’oeil in history of art. Originally the interior was decorated with white and gold paint. The walls had frescoes by Borgognone, now transferred to the Pinacoteca di Brera. The ancient sacellum of San Satiro was also covered with cotto decoration and enriched with a terracotta portraying the Dead Christ by Agostino de Fondulis. Also by the same artist are several terracotta busts in the sacristy, which is on the central plan, inspired to the Portinari Chapel of Sant’Eustorgio or to the Colleoni Chapel. The bell tower is still that of the Romanesque edifice preceding the 1480s reconstruction. Also from the 15th century is the baptistry annexed to the church.

Baptistery of San Giovanni alle Fonti
Inside the Dome of Milan, near the contra-façade, there is a small ladder who leads to the underground Baptistery of San Giovanni alle Fonti. The Baptistery was built at the end of the 4th century and became part of a large group of religious buildings located in the Dome’s area.

 
You are in Cultural Sightseeing Tours in Milan web site

Mirage Hotels Group - Gemelli s.r.l. Via Casella, 61 - 20156 Milano - P.IVA 10325510153

Itinerari Turistici e Culturali Milano - Via Paladini, 7 - 20133 Milano - Italy
Phone +39 02 7015171 Fax +39 02 70105971 - info@residencebiancacroce.it

© 2008 - 2016 Itinerari Turistici Milano - Mirage Group - All Rights Reserved - Created by Spazio Immagine Galli